Sunday, September 13, 2015

I got your Protocol right here buddy!

This past week I've been extremely excited to learn how network protocols work. I'm pretty amazed at the amount of protocols there are and still some how these things work around each other.

So when I hear the word protocol, I think of a way something has to be done. For example: When you approach a red light when driving, the protocol is to stop your vehicle and wait until you see the green light which gives you the signal to proceed. Nothing to tricky about that, but we don't call it a driving protocol or RLGLP (Red Light, Green Light Protocol), everyone that's taught to drive learns those are the rules. It that scenario then, I guess I would be the computer, but it only makes sense to me because I know how to drive.

I started having some issues trying to figure out how apply that logic to network protocols. In theory the definition of protocol doesn't change. Completely simplified, it's a set of rules used to communicate information. So when I ask someone what is the most common network protocol they know, I would most likely be told it's TCP/IP.



But what does that mean? Where does this protocol come from? How and when is it applied? Can we just go back to red light, green light please?

Now TCP/IP is really just one of thousands of protocols that a computer uses. And while it's not required to know every protocol, it's extremely important to know why certain protocols are being used.  With that being said you might think I have book that is titled "Protocols, LOL Have Fun Buddy!", but actually I don't. 

There was a class I had last week that really opened my mind up to how these things interact with each other. I'll be honest, it was pretty simple after it was explained and it made me pretty happy after it clicked. Below is a slide that tried to explain what happens when a protocol is used.




After this was broke down a bit for me I was able to wrap my head around the entire concept. The picture above represents a protocol. There are two people talking, they can understand one another, and they take turns talking. When one person called, the other one says hello, and when they are done talking whoever is last to speak says goodbye. BOOM, protocol in action.

So then I realized I wasn't as confused about protocols I as I thought. I really just wanted to know what all the protocols were and what they do. So when it comes to computer protocols there really is only one goal that they have, which is to communicate the data that relates to that specific protocol. Every time you try to send or receive information on your computer there are a ton of protocols that jump into action. Whether it be to communicate within the hardware, software or over the network. 

For me this is one of the coolest aspects of networking so far because it's not just about knowing why protocols are used. I really want to know when protocols are used, for what purpose, what data are they sharing, what rules are applied at any one time?

As I continue the semester I really look forward to getting heavy into protocols, because they provide all the rules needed to understand whats really going on with network communication. 

And if you don't know the rules, you can't play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment